[tex-live] install texlive 2009 on cygwin

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 21:51:36 CET 2009

On 12/19/2009 7:43 PM, Steven Woody wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Ken Brown<kbrow1i at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> At a guess I would say that all of these files are symlinks under
>>> unix.
>>
>> They're symlinks under Cygwin also.  I think we need more details about how
>> the OP did the installation in order to understand why they didn't come out
>> as symlinks.  They will be symlinks if you follow the standard instructions
>> for installing texlive on a unix-like system.
>>
>> Ken
>>

> My installation is simple:
>
> 1) open a cygwin bash window
> 2) xz -d texlive2009.iso.xz
> 3) mount the texlive2009.iso using daemon-tool on a drive, say G
> 4) cd into /cygdrive/g
> 5) $ perl install-tl
> 6) press 'I' and wait for it complete.
>
> Is there anything wrong? Thanks.

I don't see anything wrong, but I don't know what daemon-tool is.  Maybe
Cygwin doesn't get along with it.

The attached file shows you what the symlinks should look like.  I'm not
sure what's the simplest way to create them at this point.  Maybe you
should just reinstall the Cygwin binaries from the net, so that the
symlinks get created automatically.  I think you could do this by using
tlmgr or update-tlmgr-latest.sh, but I don't know the details off the
top of my head.  Or can someone suggest a better way?

Ken