[tex-live] Will LuaTeX be updated to its latest release?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:25:39 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of all this,
> but when Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard writes :
>
>> That's why I suggest *not* installing the new LuaTeX executable in
>> bin/yourarch,
>> but create a new pseudo-architecture as /bin/yourarch-local. You put the
>> newest
>> LuaTeX binaries here, then make symlinks to the regular bin directory for
>> all
>> other executables.
>
> would it not be simpler (and avoid any need for symbolic
> links) if the LuaTeX executable were to be installed by
> the user in (say) /bin/LuaTeX, and the path then modified
> to put /bin/LuaTeX earlier in the path than /bin/<architecture> ?

Many programs from TL use the self-auto-parent directory to
find config files, etc., so Manuel's recipe is less likely to break
something.  I have been using the bin/<arch>-local for all
sorts of testing purposes -- not only luatex -- for years.

One thing to watch:  when fmtutil-sys is run by tlmgr, it uses
the standard PATH, so formats are built uisng the old binaries.
Simple thing is to remember to run fmtutil-sys manually after
formats are rebuilt, or just create formats in your home
directory.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia