[tex-live] mptopdf alters source file

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Dec 13 07:47:57 CET 2009

Dan Luecking wrote:
> On Sat Dec 12 at 21:24:21 CET 2009, Werner LEMBERG
> at gnu.org wrote:
>
>> Is it normal that a call to
>>
>>  mptopdf foo.mp
>>
>> alters `foo.mp'?  Each time I call it on my GNU/Linux box, the script
>> adds a newline at the end of the file.  This is extremely annoying,
>> and I consider it as a severe bug.
>
> It isn't the only change it makes. It essentially rewrites the whole
> file and on my system (on my Windows XP, TeX Live 2009 updated yesterday)
> this changes the line-ends from UNIX to DOS. It used to also add a
> linebreak after every semicolon.

The default behavior of mptopdf is to run texexec --mptex because the
input is assumed to be for inclusion in a ConTeXt document (it is a
context tool, after all).

* If you want 'plain metapost', use mptopdf --rawmp.
* If you need latex labels, run mptopdf --latex
* If you have generated images already, run mptopdf on the mp output.

> And somehow it triggers a warning from mpost for every single line in
> psfonts.map:
> Warning: fontmap entry for `ASCII' already exists, duplicates ignored
> Warning: fontmap entry for `zpzdr-reversed' already exists, duplicates
> ignored.

This is unrelated, it is a bug in metapost 1.208 itself, that will be
fixed in 1.209. Probably that will be released at the very end of this year.

Best wishes,
Taco