[tex-live] Is tlmgr 2008 now completely unusable?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Dec 2 15:52:00 CET 2009

Hi,

On Mi, 02 Dez 2009, B Wooster wrote:
> 1) tlmgr should report a better error message other than "location
> unusable" - which sounds like all one needs to do is to fix the

And how should that be detected? If a user starts tlmgr with
	tlmgr --repository http://www.microsoft.com/get-tl-from-ms/
how should we know that this was a valid address?

> location - but a better message would have been "2008 is now obsolete,
> no updates are available. Please install the current latest texlive
> for updates".

If a valid texlive.tlpdb is found in the respective site, the tlmgr
from 2009 already breaks off if the versions disagree with:
	The release version of the installation source and the
	installation media do not agree: source: ....., media: .....
	Please fix your location ......
Again, we cannot be sure what is the correct one! Think about a third
party repository (and they *do* exist) which declares 2008 as repository
replease, after the switch to 2010 an old one.

> 2) http://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html should say which version it
> refers too and also state when old versions are obsoleted. Certainly

Always the latest released version, please go to
	http://www.tug.org/texlive
and you will see which version we are talking about.

Actually, the good poiint of this discussion is that I checked the code
of tlmgr and was thinking about the 2009->2010 update and how it
can be handled, and I need some more coding ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining                                        Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology   preining at jaist.ac.jp
Vienna University of Technology                               preining at logic.at
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force)                    preining at debian.org