[tex-live] Catalogue sources

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Sun Aug 30 21:58:08 CEST 2009

Hi Jim!
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:47:59 -0400, CTAN maintainer Jim Hefferon <ftpmaint at alan.smcvt.edu> wrote:

> The difference with the Catalogue, to my mind, is that *we* author it.
>
> I have had authors fill in the upload email field with a bogus address
> and then I tracked them down, and they expressed concern about spam--
> they are afraid that the announcement will contain their address.  A
> person may well consider that concern overblown (I do) but it is
> different to my mind for them to expose the address than it is for us to
> do that.

Maybe it could be mitigated by redesigning an upload form a bit?
Instead of one field for email:

make two:

  (Note: your email will be publicly accessible but two parts of it
  will not be combined to thwart spammers.)

Emails in texcatalogue/entries/authors seems to be obfuscated enough
and that could be made explicit to authors.

Alexander Cherepanov