[tex-live] EC license

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 29 00:13:58 CEST 2009

Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan at mccme.ru> wrote:

> >> OTOH rsync://rsync.tex.ac.uk/CTANcatalogue/entries/e/ec.xml contains:
> >>
> >>   <license type='lppl'/>
>
> > (on the whole, it would have been better if you hadn't mentioned that
> > rsync access to repository on an open archived list.  i have suppressed
> > it.)
>
> Not sure what's the problem but sorry for that.

the repository also contains email addresses and other personal
information.

> Where is the official home for sources of tex catalogue then? The main
> page (e.g.,
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/catalogue.html ) points
> to http://sarovar.org/projects/texcatalogue/ but last update there
> seems to be from 2006-09-27. Or did I miss something?

a closed repository on dante.de

at one stage we were using a cvs repository on sarovar, but it was
getting slower and slower, and eventually we switched to the present one
on dante after a period of nearly a week when we couldn't update
anything.

the files exist on ftp.tex.ac.uk because i need them for generating the
catalogue search and so on; i was asked to provide them to someone or
other for a reason i've forgotten, and so i did, on the condition that
they kept quiet about it.  i've been monitoring the traffic (in a
desultory way) but knew that the thing would get out eventually and
would therefore have to be shut down.

i'm now told it was used for valuable work.  very tiresome.

robin