[tex-live] listing failed

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnl.gov
Wed Aug 26 18:54:45 CEST 2009

On 08/26/09 09:19, "Norbert Preining" <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Mi, 26 Aug 2009, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> BTW, why don't you set the parameter to the default once in TLU?

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.  I allow the user to set the location
in a text field (combo box):

http://code.google.com/p/mactlmgr/wiki/PreferencesPage

This is set in the Mac OS preference database, so is private to TLU.  It is
used as the argument to --location for listing updates, but the actual host
is always used for update/install as follows:

1) user lists updates

2) I parse the output of update --list to grab the actual location used

3) When the user opts to update or install, I then pass the location from 2)
for that action

When the multiplexer is used in 1), this ensures that the user always
updates/installs from the same host used for listing, which avoids confusion
due to mirrors being out of sync.

>> code to support the original tlmgr (before --machine-readable), and much of
>> my recent code is now conditional on TL 2009 vs. TL 2008.
>
> I believe that it is a pain keeping that, sorry for that, hopefully not
> soooo many things will change next year, but ... you know.

I'm not complaining!  After all, no one forced me to take advantage of new
features.  It's really been quite painless, but I'm no longer testing TL
2008...so support is getting more dubious.