[tex-live] locally disabling maps/formats/patterns

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Aug 17 10:09:18 CEST 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Karl Berry wrote:
> from the main file, by using lines like:
>   #!pdflatex
>   #!lm.map
>   %!german
>
> The documentation that I wrote in the --help message should appear at
>   http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlmgr.html#generate__option_____what
> tomorrow, along with the code in tlnet as usual.
>
> Suggestions/improvements welcome as usual.  It's an undoubtedly
> complicated area.

That means that you can replace a format definition in the tlpdb with your
own:

Example, you want some special feature in your pdftex, then you can add
	#!pdftex
	pdftex pdftex ......
to fmtutil-local.cnf (in TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/) and the effect will be that
pdftex format will be built as you defined it.

Same for hyphenation patterns.

For font maps it is a bit different because tlmgr does NOT use the equivalent
of
	tlmgr generate updmap
on upgrades etc, but uses updmap-sys --enable/--disable. So after you have
done the adjustments in updmap-local.cfg you have to call
	tlmgr generate updmap
once so that the changes are taken over. Later on they should be kept
(to my best knowledge).

As Karl wrote, any suggestions, questions, and improvements of the
documentation text are welcome. As well as testing.

(Note: tlnet does NOT contain these changes by today, should hopefully
be in tomorrows tlnet)

Best wishes

Norbert