[tex-live] [OS X TeX] cite package broken?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 18:22:39 CEST 2009

Ralph Martin <Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk> wrote:

> A further data point. If I replace
>
> \bibliographystyle{eg-alpha}
>
> with
>
> \bibliographystyle{plain}
>
> it all works fine.
>
> So the new cite package is seemingly incompatible with the eg-alpha
> bib style. Whose, fault that is, I have no idea, but the eg-alpha.bst
> worked fine with the old cite in the past.

did it actually _do_ anything, though?  cite.sty is for sorting and
compressing numeric citations, one wouldn't expect it to achieve much
with an alpha bst style.

the docs (in the cite.sty) say:

  o Sort citation numbers into ascending order, printing non-numbers before
    numbers.  All numbers should be greater than zero.  The [nosort] package
    option turns off sorting.

does it still fail if you load cite.sty as

  \usepackage[nosort]{cite}

i can well imagine that the author hasn't tested the new version with
a document whose citations are all non-numeric, but he ought to be
alerted to the problem, and the result of a [nosort] test might help.

where's the canonical source for eg-alpha?  i found a copy in a
repository at cornell, but the canonical source would be good to know.
(google tediously reports pages containing text such as "... e.g.,
alpha.bst ...")

robin

who hasn't been to a eurographics conference since the 80s