[tex-live] texdoc output changes

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Apr 18 01:55:16 CEST 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 4:09 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :
>> 1) what texdoc version changed behavior (I have 0.4, and I understand
>> that 0.42 is different)
>>
> There is no version between 0.4 and 0.42 (except the svn version of
> course). So
> the changes are in 0.42.

Okay, I'll check for anything > 0.4.

>> Basically, all I want is the path, but I'd also like to keep
>> compatibility with the older version as shipped with TL 2008.  Is
>> there
>> a reliable way to get the path from the new form of output?
>>
> The idea behind the 0.4 behaviour is that in non-interactive mode,
> the numbers
> are not needed in order to select the files. Then the change in 0.42
> was to make
> the output more homogeneous with interactive mode: a purely cosmetic
> change.
> Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I wasn't aware that texdoc was
> already used
> by other programs.

It's not a big problem; I suppose there's really no way for you to
know who's (ab)using it as I am.

> and even, for the svn versions (which should not appear in TL):
> 	texdoc 0.42+ svn r45
>
> Anyway, you can always get the version info with the regex (perl-
> style)
>
> ^texdoc (?:version: )? (\d\.\d+)

Thanks.  That's similar to what I'm doing now, but I didn't consider
svn version numbering.  I'm not sure how carried away I want to get
with that...

> Then for 0.4 you can do as usual, and for 0.42 you can get the path
> from each
> line with (still PCRE):
>
> ^\s*\d+\s(.*)$

Good.  If I read that regex correctly, that's basically what I came up
with by reverse-engineering it.  At least it's trivial compared to
tlmgr1 :).

> Maybe I should add an option for easily machine-readable output?

If that's not a big problem for you, I'd certainly find it useful;
Norbert's machine readable option for tlmgr2 certainly made things
easier for me!

> Anyway, I'd like to suggest you subscribe to the texdoc list

Done.  Thanks for pointing that one out.

thanks,
Adam