[tex-live] paper size (ubuntu)

Mircea Trandafir tramir at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 11 22:42:14 CEST 2009

Hey everybody,

I have the following problem: I installed TeXLive 2008 from source on
Ubuntu 8.10 (fully updated) using these instructions
(except for the PATH thing, where I used the last comment on the same
page). I chose "letter" as the default paper size for everything and
checked that all the configuration files in
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-config/ have the paper size defined as
letter. I also have /etc/papersize = letter. I checked and overchecked
all the settings, ran "sudo tlmgr paper letter" and so on, but whatever
I do, my LaTeX documents get compiled as A4. Anybody has any idea how I
could solve it?

TIA...