[tex-live] DTL (DVI Text Language): licence?

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Sat Sep 27 20:54:56 CEST 2008

On Sat 27th Sep, 2008 at 10:58, Karl Berry seems to have written:

>    > DTL (DVI Text Language) is listed as distributed under an unknown (so,
>    > by default, nonfree) licence on CTAN:
>
> Because so many packages were listed as "unknown" when we started
> license reviews, and the meaning of "unknown" was unclear, we did not
> (and have not) eliminate(d) them from TL.  There are in fact over 120
> packages with catalogue-license unknown in TL.
>
> As Robin goes through them, we update accordingly.  It all takes time.
>
>    (it being my son's birthday).
>
> Happy birthday to him.
>
>    let's leave it as a nice anomaly for karl to chew on...
>
> I wrote Tobin (http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/).
>
> In general, the answer for all these packages which are technically
> nonfree due to noinfo or whatever, but are almost certainly intended to
> be free, is to write the author.  Clea, if you have any time or
> opportunity to do that, that would be great, just cc me.  (For that
> matter, just researching current email addresses would be a help.)

Do you have a standard message or what is crucial to say?

Is there a list of packages in TL which fall into this category (as
opposed to the licence-genuinely-unknown-default-nonfree category)? I'm
not sure how to distinguish the cases on CTAN...

Thanks,
cfr