[tex-live] Problem updating with tlmgr

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Tue Sep 23 06:22:16 CEST 2008

Hi, Norbert,

On Sep 22, 2008, at 00:13 , Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hmmmmmm... I don't get it. the pdflatex link is in
> 	bin-latex.i386-linux
> (or the respective package for different arch-os combinations).
>
> But your log file below did show that bin-latex has NOT been updated.
> So why should that remove the link?
>
> And tlmgr install pdflatex does not remove the link either, it only
> tells you that there is no packages pdflatex, right?

Well, the log file I sent was from my first use of tlmgr to update
TL2008, and after I did this, TeXShop started grousing about
'pdflatex' being missing.

> For your log file:
>
>> disable kpfonts.map
>> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/
>> tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.
>> enable Map=kpfonts.map
>> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/
>> tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.
>> disable marvosym.map
>> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/
>> tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.
>> enable Map=marvosym.map
>> Can't exec "updmap-sys": No such file or directory at /usr/texbin/
>> tlmgr line 183, <RETFH> line 114253.
>
> That is BAD ... what does happen here. Do you have
> 	updmap-sys
> in your path? Can you call it as root or the one who installed TeX
> Live.

I do have it, and I did run it, both as myself and root.  "/usr/
texbin" is in my path.

>> updmap: This is updmap, version 1211742332
>
> Especially since afterwards calls to updmap succeeded.
>
>> regenerating fmtutil.cnf
>> Cannot open /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/fmtutil/format.cslatex.cnf
>
> Hmmmm, that is part of
> 	bin-cslatex (in  collection-langczechslovak)
> do you have that one installed?

"type cslatex" shows it is in "/usr/texbin".

>> The generated fmtutil.cnf file might be incomplete!
>> Error: No such file or directory
>> readline() on closed filehandle INFILE at /usr/local/texlive/2008/
>> tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 947.
>> running fmtutil-sys --missing
>
> Looks fine.
>
> So I don't understand what has happened here.
>
> Did you install TL via our install package or via the MacTeX (or how
> it
> is called) installer?

I used MacTeX.

>> But that wouldn't be contributing *to*; that would be contributing
>> *from*, no?
>
> Welllllll, in some way it would be both, because by absorbing funds
> from
> the "Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds", which seems to be
> federal, too, I would at the same time absorb from (take the money
> from
> it) and contribute to (as I am working in the sense of the Institute).

No, the Institute is an independent organization.  The Federal
Government absorbs funds from the rest of us.  Our institute is gamely
trying to reverse the flow...

> That is very much a Gödelian argument, or better Cantor, if you
> remember
> the Cantor's paradox about the set containing all the sets which do
> not
> contain itself ...

Georg and I never overlapped, at the asylum, or on the outside, so I
never really grokked what he was on about... :-}

But all this aside, I gather from Karl's message that a fix is
actively pending; and since I seem to be making progress, I'm happy
for now.

Thanks for the help!

Justin

--