[tex-live] Problem updating with tlmgr

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 08:37:40 CEST 2008

On Sep 21, 2008, at 23:26 , Norbert Preining wrote:

> On So, 21 Sep 2008, Justin C. Walker wrote:
>> I tried yesterday to update my TL2008 installation with 'tlmgr'.  The
>> update "succeeded" (see below), but afterwards, TeXShop complained
>
> You forgot to attach the output of tlmgr ...

See below :-}

>> Turns out (adding to my list of things learned today) that this is a
>> symlink to 'pdftex', so the fix appears easy.  I just wonder how many
>> similar problems are lurking.
>
> Strange. Was really only the link missing and everything else working.

That was the reaction of 'tlmgr' when I wanted to install
'pdflatex' ("strange....").

I can't guarantee that "only the link was missing"; I replaced the
link by hand, and I can typeset again, but TL2008 is a fairly involved
setup, and I have no clue whether everything else is copacetic.

> Karl, can you look into the respective package (must be bin-latex?)
> whether the link is present?
>
>> Institute for the Absorption of Federal Funds
>
> Aehmmm, I could contribute to this institute by absorbing some of
> the funds
> of the institute, so to say a second level absorption ...

But that wouldn't be contributing *to*; that would be contributing
*from*, no?

Thanks for the followup.

Justin