[tex-live] fmtutil(-sys) --all reports errors

Peter Ragosch peter.ragosch at t-online.de
Sun Sep 21 14:56:13 CEST 2008

Hallo Karl,

>     But  fmtutil-sys --all reports 13 errors.
>
> Do you have any TEX* environment variables set?

printenv | grep TEX
TEXINPUTS=/home/peter/work/Tex//:/usr/local/texlive/2008////
TEXDIR=/usr/local/texlive/2008//

>     writing of \input argument without file extention (.tex) in .ini files
> and the behaviour of kpsewhich reporting a binary file in this special
> cases.
>
> Were you in the actual bin/x86_64-linux directory when fmtutil-sys ran?
> That would explain those errors.

No.  I've started 'fmtutil-sys --all' from my HOME, but the TEXDIR belongs to
USERS --- not to ROOT --- for simplifying upgrades. I know that's
not "correct", but gives no trouble in the past.

> But I see no reason why we shouldn't change the .ini file to use the
> explicit .tex extensions, so thanks for reporting that.
>
>     May be there is something wrong with my configuration?
>
> fmtutil-sys certainly runs without complaint "usually".  You've done a
> lot of debugging and fixing, but it shouldn't have been necessary!
> Strange. I'm afraid I have no immediate idea why the jadetex.fmt build is
> failing for you.
>
> karl

Using
unset TEXINPUTS
unset TEXMFCONFIG
first, as Rolf suggested, kpsewhich finds the right tex files and fmtutil runs
without any problem --- including jadetex.fmt.

So, there is no reason for changing the .ini files at all.

Many thanks for your reply.
--
Peter Ragosch