[tex-live] prolems running latex in tex-live

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 00:14:43 CEST 2008

2008/9/20 George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sa, 20 Sep 2008, Ralph Boland wrote:
> >> Here is the output; it is the same as before:
> >>      fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
> >>      tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig)
> not
> >> found.
> >>      fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> >

> >> NOW RUNNING SAME command as root:
> >> output is exactly the same.
> >
> > ??? What?? You say output is exactly the same and then you provide the
> > output from below?
> >
> >> Finally using sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex > fmtutil-sys-out I get
> the
> >> attached file plus the screen output:
> >
> > And that is fine...
> >
> > I don't get it (Ubuntu is braindamaged with respect to root handling).
> >
> > Is there a difference between:
> >        sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
> > and
> >        AS ROOT
> >                fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
> > and
> >        AS USER
> >                fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex
>
> The environment will differ:
>
> $ sudo /usr/bin/printenv
> $ sudo /usr/bin/texconfig conf
> $ su
> # /usr/bin/printenv
> # /usr/bin/texconfig conf
> # exit
> $ su -
> # /usr/bin/printenv
> # /usr/bin/texconfig conf
>
> might shed some light on the problem.
>
> >>     fmtutil: running `pdftex -ini   -jobname=pdflatex -progname=pdflatex
> >> -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdflatex.ini' ...
> >>     fmtutil: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt installed.
> >
> > That is fine. So now you should be able to compile documents!
> >
> > It looks all completely normal, I don't see the problem.
> >
> > Now, can you run
> >        pdflatex
> > on a simple document as user?
>
> Say, "pdflatex sample2e", so we all see the same
> source file.
>
> > And if not, maybe with
> >        pdflatex -kpathsea-debug=-1
>
> or pdflatex  -recorder sample2e and send the
> sample2.fls file.  Mine (from Fedora 8)  has:
>
> PWD /Data/u/gwhite/T/test/TL2007
> INPUT /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt
> INPUT /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/sample2e.tex
> OUTPUT sample2e.log
> INPUT /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
> [..]

I get the following:
 pdflatex -recorder sample2e
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
found.
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!

I couldn't find file sample2.fls or sample2e.fls anywhere.

Ralph

--
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach man to fish and he'll catch every fish there is