[tex-live] prolems running latex in tex-live

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Sep 20 23:30:50 CEST 2008

On Sa, 20 Sep 2008, Ralph Boland wrote:
> Here is the output; it is the same as before:
>      fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
>      tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
> found.
>      fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.

> NOW RUNNING SAME command as root:
> output is exactly the same.

??? What?? You say output is exactly the same and then you provide the
output from below?

> Finally using sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex > fmtutil-sys-out I get the
> attached file plus the screen output:

And that is fine...

I don't get it (Ubuntu is braindamaged with respect to root handling).

Is there a difference between:
	sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
and
	AS ROOT
		fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
and
	AS USER
		fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex

>     fmtutil: running `pdftex -ini   -jobname=pdflatex -progname=pdflatex
> -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdflatex.ini' ...
>     fmtutil: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt installed.

That is fine. So now you should be able to compile documents!

It looks all completely normal, I don't see the problem.

Now, can you run
	pdflatex
on a simple document as user?

And if not, maybe with