[tex-live] tlmgr testing, pretty please

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 13:27:31 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> Hi Gregor,
>
> On Sa, 13 Sep 2008, Gregor Zimmermann wrote:
>> tlmgr.pl        -> 10577,
>
> Pleae get current head, 10579, that fixed the "No such file or directory
> at" error.

Testing on Fedora 8 linux, some text is garbled in the gui (also version 10579):

$ tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 10579
TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2008
texlive-20080903
$ tlmgr show xlop
Package:   xlop
Category:  Package
ShortDesc: Calculates and displays arithmetic operations.
LongDesc:  Xlop (eXtra Large OPeration) will typeset arithmetic
problems either in-line or "as in school" (using French school
[...]
Installed: Yes

The same text displayed in the right-hand panel using tlmgr --gui
corrupts the quote marks.   I see "a" with a "hat", pasted
here indicates a couple other codes that are not displayed
by tlmgr's gui:

... arithmetic problems either in-line or “as
in school”

For debugging purposes, it might be useful to have a dummy
package whose info includes a wide range of glyphs, or if the
double quotes are the only problem, just replace them with
the dual-porpose ascii versions

Btw -- xltxtra also uses open and closing double quotes.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia