[tex-live] tlmgr testing, pretty please

Bruno Piguet bpiguet at teaser.fr
Fri Sep 12 22:46:59 CEST 2008

Here is a short report of a "dumb user" test :

I downloaded rev 10574.

I tried a "tlmgr update --all"
I got a message saying :
http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/mirrors/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
  no such file or directory at C:/Program
Files/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive.tlmgr.pl line 1052

So, I tried the gui :
tlmgr --gui
The information window gave a more informative text :
(sorry, I try to translate the french message back to english...)
"The  database of the installation source was not loaded
Please use the "load" button (and maybe "Modify")"
So I hit the "modify" button, then "default network location"
and it selected automaticaly the "mirror.ctan.org" site.

The "loading TLPDB" lasted about two minutes, then I went to the
"update" panel.
The top message box still showed the
"http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/mirrors/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008"
adress (was the "modification" not taken into account, or did the mirror
system send me back to the same mirror ?)

Then, I clicked and "update all".
It ended very quickly, with the same "no such file or directory "
message in the command window.

I tried the "configuration" window, and the "Default installation
source" item. with the "modify" buton, I could set the value to the
"mirror.ctan.org" site.
But the upper text window was still showing the ipsl address, and
any attempt to update (either one or all packages) failed.

So, I re-tried the modify button next to the "installation source" text
window. This time, mirror.ctan.org chose another location
("ftp://ftp.inria.fr/pub/TeX/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008")

But, no way ! still got the same messages
("ftp://ftp.inria.fr/pub/TeX/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008 : no such
file or directory at C:/Program
Files/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive.tlmgr.pl line 1052)

Another try from the command ligne (tlmgr update --all
--location=ftp://ftp.inria.fr/pub/TeX/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
)
gave the same result

A final try :
tlmgr update --all --location=http://mirror.ctan.org/
wasn't more successful than the former ones.

Do I need to read more doc, or am I especialy unlucky, or else ?

When I type "perl --version" on my command line, I learn that it is
Active Perl V5.10.0 responding. Could it be a bad interference with TL's
perl ?

Bruno.