[tex-live] pdftex LFS bug: on mac too?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Sep 12 11:39:23 CEST 2008

On  11 Sep, 2008, at 18:23, Karl Berry wrote:

>    Is the bug supposed to affect the inclusion of any pdf, then?
>
> It doesn't do that.
>
>    Or what are the criteria?
>
> The definite problem is on BigEndian machines such as sparc, where
> pdftex was compiled with largefile (>2gb) support enabled.
>
> However, the powerpc binaries were already compiled without largefile
> support.  But a different user reported a crash there too.
> Investigation continues.

Maybe I don't understand what's going on, but I have both a Mac PPC
system (dual processor G5, 2GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 8.64GB of free disk space)
and a Mac Intel laptop. I just tried typesetting a book done
originally in 2006 with gwTeX (which I no longer have).

This book uses more than 100 images; the heaviest PDF is 25MB file (as
converted by Ghostscript 8.62; PDF press-ready by Adobe Distiller,
just 11MB), from a 70MB Illustrator EPS.

Both Ghostscript *and Apple Distiller* had problems with some (about
15) Photoshop EPS files (but not Illustrator or generic EPS files), so
I used Adobe Distiller to distill those. This problem was both on PPC
and Intel, exactly with the same images.

I don't recall this happening in the past; but anyway it wasn't a
pdfTeX problem, but Ghostscript and Apple Distiller with Photoshop EPS.

In 2006, the book ended up as a 55MB PDF; now 84MB (maybe different
compression of GS 8.53 I had used and GS 8.62 I use now); with Apple
Distiller, 172MB!

If someone wants to take a look at the book I'm talking about, I made
a huge, huge compression of it to put it in the web (but anyway,
that's a 6MB PDF):

http://www.lmtgtm.org/gtm/book/librogtm.pdf

If someone wants me to do a test in my PPC, just tell me what files I
should use. I tried connecting to

svn co http://scm.foundry.supelec.fr/svn/pdftex/tests/lfs

but I couldn't either as anonymous (password email) or leaving the
fields blank.

On  11 Sep, 2008, at 18:29, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> [...] The example as the OP posted it can be
> found at: http://tug.org/~mpg/ECM.zip

I tried with those files and the PDF compiled fine.

Best,

Axel