[tex-live] texdoc error

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 11:58:25 CEST 2008

2008/9/10 Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl>:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 02:27:03AM +0200, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
>>
>> By the way Philip, if you know of a good "Windows for the command line
>> addict" tutorial... (and details such as how to set environment
>> variables, etc.)
>
> If you can get hold of Windows 2000: it has a pretty decent DOS
> command-line reference under help. Unfortunately, I completely
> failed to export it to a standalone helpfile.
>
> Most DOS commands have a /? switch. Reinhard had a script to collect
> all such output into a pdf. A couple of pages:
>
> http://vtatila.kapsi.fi/batch_tutorial.html
> http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1294869,00.html
>
> Windows XP in a nutshell also has a chapter on the command-line and
> batchfiles.
>
> As to environment variables specifically: you set them with
>
> set var=value
>
> and unset them with
>
> set var=

And remember that the names of the environment variables are all
uppercase, the conversion is performed by cmd.exe. Thus if you type

set var=value

it will set environment variable VAR. you can type on the command line

echo %var%
echo %VAR%
echo %vAr%

and all these command will display value. However, if you try to getn
the value of the environment variable from your program, you must use
the name in uppercase, eg. in C you must use getenv("VAR").

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/