[tex-live] texdoc error

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Sep 10 02:27:03 CEST 2008

Hi,

Before I answer Reinhard's message, I'd like to mention I committed
something that should work around the problem. It should be in the
updates of tomorrow if your CTAN mirror is very up-to-date, or a bit
later otherwise. You can still try it by manually installing the two
attached files in bin/win32 (texdoc.bat overwrites the current, the
other file is new).

Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
> Another difference between the wrapper and Manuel's test file is that
> the wrapper doesn't quote the first argument.  Since Manuel already
> told me that the version I sent you doesn't work, I send you a new
> file which quotes the first argument too.

I'm sorry, but if I remember correctly, I tested this too and it fails
too. Testing it again: well, just nothing visible happens. No error, no
program starting, nothing. Since I don't know how to test exits codes on
windows, I can't say if the os.spawn failed or something else.

By the way Philip, if you know of a good "Windows for the command line
addict" tutorial... (and details such as how to set environment
variables, etc.)

> I'm still wondering how AR is actually invoked.  In order to find this
> out I wrote a tiny program called print-argv.  The attached zip file
> contains the source code too.  I compiled it using the Microsoft C
> compiler.  Don't be confused by the underscores in the output.  They
> are supposed to help you to distinguish between an empty string and
> one which contains spaces only.
>

> start.exe.  If you are in doubt, create a boot floppy before, so that
> you can recover easily.

Btw, I'm now doing my test on a virtual machine. On of the advantages is
that you can take snapshots very easily and have no fear breaking
everything :-)

> Phil, I don't know how familiar you are with Lua.  I know that it's
> quite new to you but I've seen in the mails that you even succeeded to
> write your own lua script.  Could you add the directory containing
> AR to %PATH% and modify texdoc.tlu accordingly?

Btw you can also put viewer_pdf=print_argv in your texdoc.cnf and make
sure print_argv is in your path, if you want to avoid overwriting
acrord32 or start (which may be a shell builtin btw). Here is the result:

C:\Program Files\texlive\texmf-local\texdoc>echo viewer_pdf=print-argv >
texdoc.
cnf

C:\Program Files\texlive\texmf-local\texdoc>texdoc texlive-en
argv[0]: __print-argv__
argv[1]: __C:\Program
Files\texlive\2008\texmf-doc\doc\english\texlive-en\texliv
e-en.pdf__

(The other very nice thing with virtualbox is copy-pasting between guest
and host machines.)

> What I mean is to
> invoke AR directly and avoid start.exe and the stuff it depends on
> (assoc, ftype).  It's better to avoid them ATM and examine them later
> if necessary.  There are too many degrees of freedom...

Agreed.

Manuel.