[tex-live] More on multiple minuses

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 16:18:05 CEST 2008

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Martin Schröder wrote:
>
> > May we have a texlive-windows mailing list, please? ;-)
>
> Ooh, yes please : a list where there is just
> one standard, where everyone does things the
> Microsoft way, where there is none of this nonsense
> about different libraries, static v. dynamic
> linking, the million and one tiny-but-crucial
> differences between each and every implementation
> of Un*x, where there is exactly one LZMA unmangler
> rather than 14 [1] (and which we wouldn't need anyway,
> because we all use ZIP compression),

but you can't find servers to hold your files because they're so
unnecessarily much larger than the lzma compressed versions.

> where TLMGR
> means the same as "tlmgr", where logic and sanity
> prevail and where no-one gives a d at mn whether
> a package has "the right licence" ...
>
> Oh joy, oh bliss : YES PLEASE !!!

why not migrate to miktex?  i find it a jolly good distribution, and
there's seldom anything on the mailing list that relates to non-widnoze
stuff.

of course, christian, who's no idiot, _does_ pay attention to licensing
(he certainly removes package in response to notices from me about
licences moving to non-free).  but you can't have everything.

(btw, since you don't care about licences, would you clone a copy of
your windows installation disc for me, please?)