[tex-live] TL-Announce ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Sep 5 13:17:04 CEST 2008

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

 > Hell no! That is our job as TL maintainers: we have scripts that attempt to do
 > so, but they definitely need a human coprocessor to achieve a (somehow)
 > reliable result. One of the main purpose of the TL package architecture is be
 > an interface between CTAN and what's on your HD. (And as you'll probably
 > noticed, CTAN didn't freeze for TL release, but tlmgr update --list still
 > outputs nothing for now...)

OK, I didn't really mean CTAN, of course; I meant
the TLNET bit of CTAN ...

 > The truth is, it will load your local texlive database, load the remote one,
 > and do something like
 >
 > for each local package
 >   if the version in the remote database is greater than the local version
 >     print
 >   end fi
 > end for

Fine, understood.

 >> Can it
 >> detect if I have accidentally deleted one
 >> (or many) ?
 >
 > What do you mean, accidentally? ;-) No, it won't try to detect this.

OK, so is there a TLMGR option with semantics
"check integrity of local TL (2008) installation" ?

 >>  Will it report new packages,
 >> or changed packages, or both, and so on.
 >>
 > As the name "update" suggests, it will list packages that are installed, but
 > for which a newer version is available in the TL repository.

OK again, but if a new package were to appear, should it
not tell me about it (and offer to install it) ?  If (say)
I have elected not to install French, German and Polish,
then I wouldn't expect to be told when they changed, but
if a new language Serbo-Slavo-Teutonic were to appear,
I would like to told about it next time I run
TLMGR update --list

** Phil.