[tex-live] TL-Announce ?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 12:06:12 CEST 2008

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>
> > note that regardless of the author's stated desire, we *always* announce
> > new packages, and we negotiate with the author if the update "looks like
> > a major change" (to us).
>
> But to where are these announcements sent, Robin
> (to which list(s), I mean) ?  It seems to me
> (and I can sense that Karl will disagree) that
> the first recommendation on installing TeX Live
> should be to subscribe to the TL-Announce list, where
> "important announcements concerning TeX Live" will
> be sent [1].

you snipped out the clear indication in my message that we send messages
to ctan-ann

fwiw, even with partly-auto-generated messages (our upload daemons write
them, mostly), sending ctan-ann messages is a big deal.

so i, for one, can quite understand karl not wanting to send a message
to a proposed new list for every footling change.