[tex-live] TL-Announce ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Sep 5 11:40:37 CEST 2008

Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> note that regardless of the author's stated desire, we *always* announce
> new packages, and we negotiate with the author if the update "looks like
> a major change" (to us).

But to where are these announcements sent, Robin
(to which list(s), I mean) ?  It seems to me
(and I can sense that Karl will disagree) that
the first recommendation on installing TeX Live
should be to subscribe to the TL-Announce list, where
"important announcements concerning TeX Live" will
be sent [1].  As Victor has just suggested, the
first of these could be the first post-22-Aug-2008
change, and that could be accompanied by a
suggestion to run "tlmgr update --list" on
a regular basis.  I, like many (most ?)
TeX Live users, have read nothing beyond the
basics of how to get and install it : subtleties
such as "tlmgr update --list" are somewhere
deep in the documentation that few of us will
ever bother to read.

** Phil.
--------
[1] Suppose it were discovered that running LauTeX
rendered one open to DOS attacks; how would this
information be disseminated to TL-2008 users ?