[tex-live] tlmgr not working after a "failed" tlcritical update

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 31 00:25:31 CET 2008

    Can't locate object method "option" via package "TeXLive::TLPDB" at
    /opt/texlive/2008/bin/i386-linux/tlmgr line 1053.

Drat.  Sorry.

My suggestion is to go to
  ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008/install-tl/tlpkg/TeXLive/
and explicitly download the *.pm files and manually put them into
tlpkg/tlpkg/TeXLive.  Then visit
  http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgr.pl
and manually put that into texmf/script/texlive.

After that,  tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra  will hopefully run
ok, and get things back in a reasonable state.

We're working on an easier way to recover from the "broken tlmgr"
problem, but for now, the above is it.

FYI, thanks for wanting to try it, but tlcritical doesn't currently have
any interesting differences compared to the released version (tlnet).
We pushed the changes out a couple days ago.

karl