[tex-live] a big thank you, a request, a report, and two hints

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Oct 23 00:13:36 CEST 2008

Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Jobst,
>
>     - The request is concerning the tlmgr: is it possible to define a list
>       of error, warning, and informational messages with their meaning at
>       the end of the tlmgr help?
>
> Well, the messages are meant to be self-explanatory, although admittedly
> they are often less than perfect in that regard.  In any case, it's not
> practical to try to maintain a different list of what they "really"
> mean, since the list of messages is completely open-ended and changes
> frequently.  But thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if there would be any merit in using
VMS-style error messages, such as :

	%TLMGR-F-NOSUCHPKG, No such package found at requested location

where the part following the ", " would be taken from
a default indexed file (using "NOSUCHPKG" as key), but
with the ability to take an alternative text from
a user-defined file, such that each user could customise
the error messages to his/her taste if he/she so wishes ...

** Phil.