[tex-live] Oddities with tlmgr generate

Ruben Prins ruben_prins at planet.nl
Wed Oct 22 23:53:37 CEST 2008

Having tried calling

  tlmgr generate updmap

to no avail on my Windows XP machine (I think the Windows part is relevant),
and digging into the tlmgr code, I think I have found a bug in the kpsewhich
function in TLUtils.pm:

sub kpsewhich {
  my $var = shift;
  my $ret = `kpsewhich -var-value='$var'`;
  chomp ($ret);
  return $ret;
}

should probably read

sub kpsewhich {
  my $var = shift;
  my $ret = `kpsewhich -var-value=$var`;
  chomp ($ret);
  return $ret;
}

Note the missing single quotes. If the single quotes are present, kpsewhich
returns nothing (at least on Windows).

The generate action is the only part of tlmgr.pl that seems to call the
kpsewhich function; the rest uses `kpsewhich -var-value=XYZ` directly
(without the quotes).

Also, to me the place of the --dest and --localcfg options seems odd:

  tlmgr generate --dest XYZ --localcfg XYZ updmap

I think

  tlmgr generate updmap --dest XYZ --localcfg XYZ

looks a lot more obvious (and --help seems to suggest this too).

Ruben