[tex-live] tlmgr update

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Oct 12 02:02:46 CEST 2008

We have updated the tlmgr packages (bin-texlive and texlive.infra) in
the main repository.  They will be making their way around the mirrors
over the next couple days, as usual.

So now, simply running tlmgr update --all will get the new versions.
(Once your mirror is up to date.)

That is the whole story for GNU/Linux/Unix/MacOSX/etc.

On Windows, as usual, there are special considerations.  It is not
possible to implement a normal update.  Instead, tlmgr update creates a
batch file which you yourself have to run.  (It reports all the details.)

As an alternative, we (= Norbert, as usual :) have created a
self-contained .exe updater for tlmgr using nsis.  Thus, you can simply
download and run
  http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/2008/update-tlmgr-latest.exe
(once it's on your mirror)
and your tlmgr will be updated.

Some of the main news from the original release:
- it will not switch mirrors in the middle of the download
- if a download fails, the existing package will not be uninstalled.
- package additions/removals/updates are logged to TEXMFSYSVAR/web2c/tlmgr.log.
- much more I am forgetting, please read the documentation with tlmgr --help
  or online at http://tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html.

Fingers crossed,
Karl