[tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for Solaris10 x86

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Fri Oct 10 00:18:15 CEST 2008

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> asks

>> Can we assume that if we are installing on solaris that
>>         gtar
>> is available?

No, you cannot make that assumption.  Sun provides gtar in
/usr/sfw/bin/gtar, but only in Solaris 10.  Earlier releases of
Solaris do not have it, and even /usr/sfw may be an optional package
at some sites.  Sun also has an optional /opt/sfw tree, but that does
not have gtar.

If you need features of GNU tar, it must be made available separately
in the installation process.  But why not stick with historical tar
instead, so as to preserve maximal portability.