[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Wed Oct 8 11:29:25 CEST 2008

On 08.10.2008, at 12:05, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 11:29:11AM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>>>
>> No, this is NOT censorship. Censorship means that we refuse someone
>> else's rights but no one here wrote that pornographic industry has no
>> right for advertisement. But people must NEVER be forced to accept
>> any
>> advertisement. If you consider this as censorship, then all antispam
>
> I agree. But here the question is not ads or no ads, but which ad.
> I would also prefer no ad, but if there is, discriminating against
> specific ads is censorship.
>
>> filters are censorship and must be forbidden. Do you still think that
>> you must read every byte that comes through your computer, otherwise
>> it is censorship?
>
> No. But this is not the right analogy.
>
> --
> Pat

well, it seems this censorship-discussion is going in circles. In the
end it does not alter the fact that some people who followed the link
from TUG to the Pirate Bay felt disturbed. Again, the most simple
solution seems to be to host the .torrent file (the small one
necessary to start the p2p download) on the TUG site and delete the
link to Pirate Bay (or link to other torrent-providing websites).
Leave TeXLive on the Pirate Bay, our latex-wearing friends might end
up trying LaTeX as well.
OpenOffice really seems the example to follow, in my opinion.
In the end the fact that torrents are so criminalized is also a
result of the little use serious programs make of it. I would
therefore regret seeing that the option of downloading TeXLive via
torrent is abolished all together.

Best,

Alex