[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:29:11 CEST 2008

2008/10/8 Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr>:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 01:38:17AM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>>
>>     Does one wants to have a free piece of software like TeXlive to be
>>     associated with pornographic material?
>
> Clearly no, because it is problematic and illegal for minors and so
> discriminate against minors to be able to get texlive. However if it is
> really pornographic material (at least in most countries) there should
> be a opt-in screen asking whether one want to continue or not. Agreed
> some ads don't follow that, and it is ok for me to avoid those. However
> if the site abides to the opt-in screen (and other technical measures
> for child protection), I can't see what's the issue.
>
> If there is an evidence that the torrent repels more people than it attracts
> because of these ads, which may be the case, but deserves looking at
> some measures, avoiding those ads could also be conceived as an
> improvement of the market share of texlive. Also if it hurts the texlive
> brand, but here also there should be some evidence, in my opinion,
> avoiding those ads makes sense.
>

> And lastly TeXLive people may don't like pornographic ads and prefer
> other ads, but then it is censorship (something they can favor, I just
> find it odd, I thought that people in free software were also in favor
> of free speech, any kind of speech, but that's just my opinion).

No, this is NOT censorship. Censorship means that we refuse someone
else's rights but no one here wrote that pornographic industry has no
right for advertisement. But people must NEVER be forced to accept any
advertisement. If you consider this as censorship, then all antispam
filters are censorship and must be forbidden. Do you still think that
you must read every byte that comes through your computer, otherwise
it is censorship?

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/