[tex-live] logic package

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Fri Oct 3 15:10:14 CEST 2008

On Fri 3rd Oct, 2008 at 07:38, Robin Fairbairns seems to have written:

>> On CTAN:
>> http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=logic
>> http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=gene-logic
>> -> the packages have different authors, licensing info and seem to
>> serve different purposes. One appears to be a font for use in
>> electronic diagrams with logic gates etc. The other appears to be a
>> package to ease the typesetting of formulae in formal logic.
>
> i.e., mathematical logic -- that which the electronic stuff (that
> computers are made of) was named after.

If you like. I would tend to say "formal" or "symbolic" logic rather
than "mathematical" but that's merely a disciplinary convention, of
course. :)

>> In TL:
>> texlive.tlpdb lists files from both packages as belonging to the
>> package logic with its (lack of) licensing information etc.:
>> name logic
>
> whereas miktex puts the macro package into a bundle called gn-logic.

That seems right, I think.

> this stuff all dates back into history of before my time as a ctanner.
> the logic font is called milstd (presumably there is or was some
> military force somewhere that has a standard for logic design).  to add
> to the confusion there's a latex 2.09 document style called milstd
> (which contains no actual useful comments anywhere, that i've noticed,
> so i don't know why it's so called).
>
> with a clear brain and indefinite spare time i might manage to sort this
> stuff out.  but given the circumstances ...

The CTAN stuff seems correct, though, right? That distinguishes the two
packages. It is only TeX Live that seems to confuse them...

- cfr