[tex-live] Could LZMA compression be combined with SFX format ?

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 18:11:52 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> After testing, the SFX file is actually /smaller/
> than the original LZMA !!!!!
>
> 1 235 222 Kb v. 1 248 282 Kb for the original LZMA
>
> Are there any Unix users who would be willing to
> test whether the SFX file can be successfully
> unmangled under Unix ?
>
> ** Phil.

Do not forget that LZMA has different levels of compression. Taking
this ISO (uncompressed) and compressing with -9 option

% lzma -x -9

(tightest and slowest) resulted in
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ivrii  ivrii  1220277550 Sep  2 10:44 texlive2008.iso.lzma

1,191,677 Kb

(it took looooooong)

As a Founding Member of PETMU (People for Ethical Treatment of
Microsoft Users) I request and demand to make self-extracting archive.
During the extraction the movies showing the superiority of MSW over
TeX should be shown. If extraction time is not sufficient to show all
the movies, the extraction must be slowed down:-)

Victor