[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: Could LZMA compression be combined with SFX format ?]

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 1 12:30:24 CEST 2008

Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> If you are willing to pack a unpacker with the distribuation where is
> the need for a self extracting archive?

It is not a "need"; it is a suggestion.  As has been
frequently pointed out, Windows users like life to be
made simple; for them, a self-unpacking installer is
ideal (hence the success of commercial offerings such
as InstallShield in the Windows world).

> You should also ask some windows user if they trust self extraction
> archives. I at least don't like them. I prefer to look into an archive
> and have an idea about the files involved and the pathes they use before
> I extract the files.

I am not proposing to /remove/ the ability
to look inside before unpacking; rather,
I am proposing to remove the /need to/ look
inside, if one is willing to trust the distributor.

** Phil.