[tex-live] Could LZMA compression be combined with SFX format ?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Oct 1 11:44:38 CEST 2008

Philip TAYLOR a écrit :
> time force LZMA compression.  I do think this is
> worth pursuing, given the fairly obvious resistance
> to non-ZIP compression in the Windows world ...

Well, I'm not sure there's such a resistance. On the contrary, I often
get .rar archives from window people. I was also under the impression
that most windows people use some kind of universal un*ziper like 7-zip.

Also, since the prefered installation method is from the network, don't
you think that the people downloading the iso are probably more expert
users, eg wanting to install on a series of machines?

Anyway:
1. I think it would be more useful to make the network installer more
windows-friendly (eg, an executalbe people can click, no need to unzip
then find install-tl.bat and click it) that working on the iso.
2. But I can test, merely out of curiousity, a small example of SFX file
to see if my linux version of unlzma can understand it.

Manuel.