[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: Could LZMA compression be combined with SFX format ?]

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 1 11:14:31 CEST 2008

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> SFX facility for ZIP files comes from an old PKZIP. Although it was
> not OpenSource, the description of the ZIP format was available. Thus
> WinZip knows where the important headers are and can skip the SFX
> code. I am not sure whether other implementations, e.g. InfoZip, can
> cope with SFX files. The same holds for SFX's created by 7-zip. I do
> not know whether their format is documented so that other programs
> could skip the SFX code. It could be tested on a small sample file.

OK, but would one need "other programs" ?  As 7-Zip is
open source, and has already been ported to Unix/Linux [1],
could it not be distributed as the general unpacker for
the (putative) texliveyyyy.lzma.exe ?

** Phil.
--------
[1] http://www.7-zip.org/