[tex-live] Installation problems on Windows Vista

Andreas Hirsch afj at gmx.org
Sat Nov 29 23:03:28 CET 2008

Today I decided to upgrade vom TL2007 to TL2008.

After two complete install-processes I'm very frustrated :-(

from the beginning:

1)

I've deinstalled TL2007 which did not work properly (failure message)
which I ignored. I deleted the remaining stuff manually. Not all as I
had to notice later.

2)

I've created C:\texlive an granted permissions to every user

3)

I started the net installer

4)

Some packages coukd not be untarred :-(

5)

TeXLive did not work, tlmgr die not start

6)

At the console I tried latex text.tex which di not work. Error messages
pointed me to wrong enviroment-variable which I corrected manually.

7)

latex still does not work

II. TRY

8)

I removed C:\texlive and removed all PATH and enviroment-variables
relating to TeX

9)

I started the net installer

10)

Some packages coukd not be untarred :-(

11)

TLMG-GIU starts this time but doesn't work

12)

latex works

13)

tlmgr at the console does not work :-(

error message:

C:\Windows\system32>tlmgr update -all
TeXLive::TLUtils::setup_programs failed at
D:/texlive/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm l
ine 1193, <TMP> line 99848.
D:\texlive\tlpkg\installer\wget\wget.exe --version failed (status 256):
Output is:
wget: WGETRC points to D:/texlive/tlpkg/installer/wgetrc, which doesn't
exist.
Couldn't set up the necessary programs.
Installation of packages is not supported.
Please report to texlive at tug.org.
tlmgr: exiting unsuccessfully (status 1).

C:\Windows\system32>

--
'Auch mit Steinen, die Dir in den Weg gelegt werden,
kannst Du etwas Schönes bauen.'