[tex-live] pdftricks and Texlive 2008 ?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 24 12:39:51 CET 2008

Herbert Voss <Herbert.Voss at fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Robin Fairbairns schrieb:
> > Daniel Becker <daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hm - dropping pdftricks altogether is going to confuse a lot of users,
> >> I think. Isn't pdftricks the most common way to use pstricks together
> >> with pdflatex as it doesn't need a special sequence of commands?
> >>
> >> http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=pdf/pdfoutput
> >
> > which lists pdftricks well down its list, and starts its description
> >
> >   Another more elegant way, but much more difficult is to use the
> >   pdftricks package.
> >
> > though i admit it does list a ctan location for the package...  (after
> > sarovar.org)
> >
> > the page actually recommends pst-pdf:
> >
> >   The best solution is to use the package pst-pdf which itself needs the
> >   newest preview package, available from CTAN.
> >
> > since i've never used pstricks "in anger", i really have no actual
> > opinion about the issue.
>
> yes, the package is still in use

however, since the author hasn't uploaded the update, we have little
chance of knowing that it needed to be installed on ctan.

with koma-script, the reasoning is that the stuff is lppl, so we can
"just do it".

with pdftricks, i had recalled that it was one of the river-valley-
packages that claimed lppl but didn't supply source.

however, i see it's actually gpl, so i've installed the new version.
it'll make it to tex live as soon as the team has time to make that
happen.

since river valley never bother to tell us, we have to rely on other
people's eyes to spot version changes in their packages.

(we gave up using the cvs repository on sarovar for the ctan catalogue
long ago, since it ran like a drain.  i don't believe i've gone to
sarovar since, until today...)

[note -- mactex list removed from distribution since it's private.]