[tex-live] tlmgr failure

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 23:37:01 CET 2008

Dan Luecking <luecking at uark.edu> wrote:

> There seems to be  a problem with downloading texlive.tlpdb.lzma
> from CTAN.
>
> If I obtain that file using an ftp program, its size is
>    555713 bytes.

when?  last night's mirror got an incomplete version whose size was as
you report below.  (and for that matter, where did you get it from?)

fwiw, tug.ctan.org (correctly, in some sense) has the same corrupt
version i mirrored from the master last night, at the time of writing.

> If I retrieve it using wget, wget reports its size
> as
>    2679 bytes
> and only retrieves that many bytes.
>
> If I obtain it via Firefox browser, its size is
>    2679 bytes.
>
> It must be the server is at fault.

um, i'm not sure you've proved that.  merely that what the server holds
has changed in the course of your experiment.

> I have tried this with
> wget version 1.11.4 (from GnuWin32 project) as well as version
> 1.10.2 (supplied with TeX Live 2008), with the same results.
>
> The location I gave wget
> was ftp://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/
>
> With Firefox I obtained the file from
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/

those are the same (underlying) directory, so it's not surprising that
the retrieved results look the same.

robin