[tex-live] Rsync, a different question

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Nov 11 11:56:14 CET 2008

Dear Reinhard -- Thank /you/ for your suggestions.
Many people are proving very helpful on this topic :
a good indication of the cameraderie of the TeX
community.  If I may respond briefly :

1) The error reported by Rsync :

> 2008/archive/bin-dvipdfmx.hppa-hpux.tar.lzma
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes: phase "unknown" [generator]: Connection reset by peer (104)rsync:
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/io.c(584)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/io.c(1099)

2) Problems with .exes  Not noticed so far, but there
were certainly problems earlier resulting from incorrect
permissions.  I might summarise by saying I am using
Rsync to create a CTAN/TeX Live mirror and doing local
installs that way rather than using the DVD (I forget
who suggested this, but experience suggests it is a good
route and a more efficient one).

3) Wget.  That is how I started mirroring, but someone
(?Robin?) pointed out that Rsync is far more efficient,
since it fetches only what is needed rather than
everything ...

4) Loops.  My "Rsync" invocation is via a shortcut "Mirror.lnk",
with properties :

	rsync -av --delete rsync://rsync.tex.ac.uk/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/ CTAN\systems\texlive\tlnet\2008

If I then wrap this in a CMD script, as per

	:Loop
	Mirror.lnk
	If ErrorLevel 1 Goto Loop

the test for Errorlevel is performed /before/ Rsync has done
anything, which I do not understand (it then goes on to
do Rsync).  I could remove the shortcut and just launch
Rsync directly from the CMD file, but the shortcut is very
useful for manual invocations and I would prefer not to
ditch it (or duplicate its contents) if at all possible.

5) [Slightly off-topic]

I prepared to perform an install, as above, at a friend's home,
and took my D:\TeX contents in their entirety on DVD.  When I came
to copy the DVD back to his hard disc, I found that the shortcuts
had been /replaced/ by copies of the programs (or CMD files) to
which they referred :-(((  I have never previously heard that
shortcuts are not copied as-is.

** Phil.