[tex-live] xetex and language.def

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Sun May 11 22:08:48 CEST 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> > As for language.def, I'd like to add to it:
> >
> > %% == standard (pdf)eTeX
> > %\addlanguage {german}        {dehypht.tex} {}{2}{3}
> > %\addlanguage {ngerman}       {dehyphn.tex} {}{2}{3}
> > %% == plain XeTeX
> > %\addlanguage {german}        {xu-dehypht.tex} {}{2}{3}
> > %\addlanguage {ngerman}       {xu-dehyphn.tex} {}{2}{3}
> > ...etc.
> > to make more easy manipulation for the user (all percented out).
>
> The xu-* files are supposed to load correctly under both xetex and 8-
> bit (pdf)tex engines; at least that's how we use them in *latex
> formats, and I assume they'd work the same in plain-based formats. So
> it shouldn't be necessary to have two versions of these declarations.

Thanks for explanation, but I have in mind to keep it more general at
the moment, also when somebody does not install xetex (that means also
xu-* files).

> The idea was that a single language.{def,dat} file should support
> both pdftex-based and xetex-based formats, avoiding the need to
> maintain parallel lang files for the different engines, or modify the
> file depending which format is about to be built.

That would be great, but not for the upcoming TL2008, I think, as etex
and latex still need different language.{def,dat}.

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl