[tex-live] dvips removing characters from eps-file

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri May 2 19:07:33 CEST 2008

2008/5/2 Struebing, Axel, le-tex <axel.struebing at le-tex.de>:
> Dear all,
>
>  I have got a problem with dvips producing invalid postscript with a special
>  kind of eps figures.
>  In a minimal example just including one figure the problematic becomes clear.
>
>  Lines from the figure are altered after inclusion in the final postscript.
>  These lines consists of binary data - IMHO - related to subsetted fonts.
>
>  dvips discards bytes with 0x04 (CTRL-D) unconditionally as verified in the
>  source of dvips (output.c) and mangled the bytes contained 0x13.

0x13 and 0x10 represent a newline, all PS rips must work with any line
end, i.e. 0x13 is line end, not data. Similarly, 0x04 is job end mark
for PS rip, i.e. it must not appear within a PS file. Using binary
data in EPS is a pain, you must be sure that they are correctly marked
by structure comments, dvips may then treat them corretly. However, PS
printers do not read the structure comments and printing may fail.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/