[tex-live] Package documentation

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Mar 28 19:46:44 CET 2008

Hi Manuel,

First, thanks for volunteering to help.

Now, about documentation information -- please look at
Master/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb.  It already has all the documentation files
in TL, along with the "details" of the Catalogue XML entries, including
language information in a few cases.  We wouldn't want to have a
separate "documentation database"; if there are insufficiencies, they
should be dealt with in tlpdb.

You can't browse texlive.tlpdb on the web (it's too intensive to give to
all the robots [and robots.txt is not sufficient]).  You'll have to get
via svn or rsync or whatever, as outlined on the tug.org/texlive/svn
page.

When it comes time to actually program anything about texdoc, it would
be highly desirable to start with Frank's Lua version.

Also, I should mention texdoctk already has a "database" file
(texdoctk.dat) which has the info about many packages.  I am not sure if
it has anything the Catalogue doesn't.

I'll write you later about other things.

Thanks again,
Karl