[tex-live] xindy now in build

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 25 01:20:56 CET 2008

Thanks to a lot of hard work by Vladimir, the xindy program
(http://xindy.org, http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/indexing/xindy/), a
modern alternative to makeindex, is now included in TeX Live.

For those building TL, this means you now need to install GNU clisp
and GNU libffcall.  Or else configure --without-xindy.

I wrote the procedure that worked for me (to get an xindy binary; I
haven't actually tested xindy) to install clisp and ffcall in
source/utils/README, and I'll include it here:

  xindy requires GNU clisp and GNU libffcall.  If you can find
  prepackaged versions for your system, go ahead and use them; their
  precise version shouldn't matter.

  If you need or want to compile them from source, here is what karl did
  on i386-linux -- but install the latest GNU libtool first:

wget http://www.haible.de/bruno/gnu/ffcall-1.10.tar.gz
tar xf ffcall-1.10.tar.gz && cd ffcall-1.10
configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnu --enable-shared \
&& make && make install  # as usual

wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/clisp/latest/clisp-2.44.1.tar.gz
tar xf clisp-2.44.1.tar.gz && cd clisp-2.44.1
configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnu --ignore-absence-of-libsigsegv \
  --with-libffcall-prefix=/usr/local/gnu \
&& cd src && make && make install

  Of course, adjust paths as desired.

  clisp complains about my stack size being too small and I should run
  ulimit, but I ignored that.  (If you actually care about clisp per se,
  you should probably also install GNU libsigsegv; I didn't.)