[tex-live] dvi2tty nonfree

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 18:40:33 CEST 2008

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Do, 26 Jun 2008, Karl Berry wrote:
> > Turns out the dvi2tty utility that we have distributed since day one is
> > nonfree -- no commercial use allowed.
>
> ARe you sure? Debian contains dvi2tty 5.3.1 ...: from COPYING therein:
> dvi2tty
> Copyright (C) 1989-2003 many, including Marcel J.E. Mol <marcel at mesa.nl>
>
>                     GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
>                        Version 2, June 1991
>

> How did you come to that conclusion?

by looking at the copy on ctan (v4. something).

the authors obviously stopped bothering with mainstream tex sites after
their 1990 upload.

what's debian's upstream?  or is it a debian-only package?

robin

who, despite being an archivist, doesn't have global knowledge of
everything tex-related anyone has every put on the net.