[tex-live] location of pdfcrop's README

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jul 24 11:48:58 CEST 2008

Hello,

TDS 1.1 says about TDS:doc/:

| The TDS specifies that these additional documentation files shall be
| stored in a structure that parallels to some extent the fonts and tex
| directories, as follows:
|       texmf/doc/<category>/...
|
| <category> identifies the general topic of documentation that resides
| below it; for example, a TEX format name (latex), program name (bibtex,
| tex), language (french, german), a file format (info, man), or other
| system components (web, fonts).
| [...]
| The TDS reserves the following category names:
| * general, for standalone documents not specific to any particular
|   program (for example, Joachim Schrod's Components of TEX ).

TL also uses "general" for documentation files for TDS:tex/generic.
It makes sense, because this "parallels" the tex directory (see
first paragraph above).
  Probably TDS 1.1 should be updated?

But I think, the following location seems to be wrong:
  TDS:doc/generic/pdfcrop/README

The README file isn't a standalone documentation, it belongs
to the script pdfcrop.pl. Also pdfcrop is independent from
TDS:tex/generic.
  The CTAN location is CTAN:support/pdfcrop.

Therefore I suggest
  TDS:doc/support/pdfcrop/README

BTW: texdoc could use its alias mechanism that "texdoc pdfcrop"
calls the README at least (There isn't better documentation,
no manual page, ...).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>