[tex-live] [tex-hyphen] CZ/SK in babel for TL 08

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 18:59:02 CEST 2008

2008/7/16 Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 07:10:46PM +0400, Vladimir Volovich wrote:
>
>> "HO" == Heiko Oberdiek writes:
>>
>>  HO> ngerman:T1 ...  =ngerman:texnansi
>>
>>  HO> (But I don't know "texnansi", TL2008 is missing "texnansienc.def".)
>>
>> Master/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ly1/ly1enc.def
>
> T1 and LY1 are equal regarding German umlauts, but differnt
> for the sharp s:
>
>   T1:  \ss at slot 255
>   LY1: \ss at slot 25
>  (OT1: \ss at slot 25)
>
> Therefore two sets of patterns are needed.
>
> The old patterns are the superset of the patterns for
> OT1 and T1. LY1 is supported partially: patterns with umlauts
> works because of T1, patterns with \ss because of OT1.
> But the correct patterns with umlauts and \ss are missing.
>
> The risk of using merged patterns is that there are wrong
> patterns that could be triggered by using words from other
> languages.
>
>> i don't think we need to load all available pattern variants (for
>> russian), and in all supported font encodings, at once. maybe load just
>> one reasonable default (ruhyphal) in at most 3 encodings (T2A, LCY, utf8).
>> and of course that could wait after TL2008.
>
> The question is, how easy would it be for the user to enable
> special hyphen/Encoding variants, e.g. OT1 for (n)german?

German hyphenation cannot work in OT1 because umlauts are produced by
the \accent primitive. Everything after the first \accent in the word
is not examined by the hyphenation algorithm. The part preceding the
first \accent may trigger some strange pattern. Since OT1 is a subset
of T1, German users should use T1 instead of OT1 (or some other
superset).

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/