[tex-live] texdoc doesn't find man pages

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Jul 15 14:30:33 CEST 2008

Mojca Miklavec scripsit (15.07.2008 14:13)
>> Hmm, those man pages are part of bin-context.  The script themselves are part
>> of bin-context.ARCH.  This looks fine to me.  I also have the man page on my
>> local install (I mean, not running from the svn) and it is found by man (I
>> have MANPATH set).  Could you try updating and come back with more details?
>
> Mea culpa. I was looking into texmf-dist, while the files are placed in texmf.

Phew.  By the way, I always look for files in texlive.tlpdb, this texmf vs
texmf-dist vs texmf-doc thing is too difficult for me :-)

> Generally it works, but there is bin/platform/binary, and it would
> expect bin/man/binary.1 as far as I understooi. If it was the other
> way round - platform/bin/binary, it would expect
> platform/man/binary.1. (worse idea)

Oh, right, there's this platform additional level.  Well, this means bin/man
and I really don't like the idea...

> I was talking about "man mptopdf" all the time, not about "texdoc
> mptopdf". But if you are referring to windows, I would suggest storing
> auto-generated html or pdf files somewhere. And I see no reason why
> these html/pdf files could not be opened on linux/mac/whatever as well
> (optional). Those who strictly want man pages, can still use man.
> Those who expect html or pdf, can get a html page with the same
> content as man, even on windows.

I think this is a good idea.  It's easy to generate ps files with man -t and
convert them to pdf.  Anyway, this is another question, but this would
probably be great for windows users.

> I see no harm in shipping a bunch of additional html files with
> autogenerated contents from man.

IMO, the question is how to make sure the pdf/html files are re-generated
every time the corresponding man page is changed.  I wonder if a
pre/post-commit hook would be appropriate for this.

Manuel.